I ask Susan to send me some info about her surgery. I've had alot of people ask me what she was having done but I really could not explain it very good. This is her email back to me so I thought I would post it so you all know what is going on and can pray for her.
She is going to try and keep us updated when she gets to Germany.
Thank You to everyone for your prayers I know she will appreciate them very much.
Love,
Gayle
Hello Gayle,
Thank you so much. You are so kind. We leave in less than 2 weeks now and my nerves are totalled. I do believe this is the best decision I can make and my best option, but it is still scary. My biggest fear is that this won't work either and I will be left with very few alternatives, except living in pain. But enough of that.....
Yes, it is ADR (Artificial Disc Replacement) or they call it Arthoplasty. The famous flute player, Bradley Leighton, had his surgery done by Dr. Bertagnoli also. That is who will be doing my surgery. His surgery is done and he is doing well. His story and many others are on this page at Mark's website, Global Patient Network. http://www.globalpatientnetwork.com/stories/
I have one ADR done here in the United States as part of a clinical trial. But there was always controversy over whether I had a one level, two level, or three level problem. Well, after having one level done, it has been decided I had three bad discs. The surgery that Dr. Bertagnoli plans to do, is a 2 level ADR above my existing one, for a total of 3. They have reviewed all my diagnostic tests and films, etc, and talked with me and gone through forms they had me fill out, but they will do their own diagnostics when I get over there, so the surgical plan may change........but I doubt it. I also had another well known German spine doctor review my case, Dr. Zeegers, and he came back with the same diagnosis. Artificial discs are still in the clinical trial stages here in the United States. The Charite and ProDisc have been FDA approved for one level here, but they cannot do multi levels. Almost all insurance companies are still refusing to pay for the ADR's - even one level, with the exception of Aetna. They have been doing these procedures over in Germany for 18 years or more. Dr. Bertagnoli is well known here also. My spine surgeon knew of him and was quite impressed. Dr. B comes here to the US to teach our doctors about new spine advancements. I think I am in the best hands possible. My spine surgeon here who I think the world of, even though my first surgery was not successful, thinks Dr. Bertagnoli is the most skilled and most compassionate doctor he has ever met. My insurance will not pay for the surgery whether I have it here or over in Germany. In Gemany, I get the doctor who is teaching our doctors, who has 18+ years of experience in this procedure, has done many multi-level procedures, and here's the big kicker.............it will cost me less to go to Germany for the surgery than to stay here. So............it seems like a no brainer decision, but it is still scary to think that I am actually leaving this country for surgery.
I have had contact with many patients that have gone over there - both via email and forums and the personal phone calls. They all seem to be more than happy with their decision to go to Germany for their spine problems and are happy with the results.
If your interested, here is a link at ProSpine (that's where I am going) about spinal surgery. Click on the link on that page that says Arthoplasty and it will tell you more details about arthoplasty or ADR. http://www.netplosiv.de/pro-spine/cms/front_content.php?idcat=9&lang=1&client=1
You may use anything I have written here to explain to people, if you want. I am not good at being brief. lol
Thanks again and I will keep you posted.
Love,
Susan
Saturday, May 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Thanks for the update, Heather and I read it with interest. May all go well for Susan.
Phillip
Great website Gayle. Love the pictures.
Just one correction to the post - Multi-level ADR IS available here in the US, but only by a very limited number of surgeons, very expensive, and it is not usually covered by insurance since FDA approval was for one level. Most insurance companies won't even pay for one level even though it is FDA approved now.
Thanks again to you,the church, and all your friends and family for all the prayers and good wishes.
Susan
Susan is in my prayers. I really appreciate the update. I had a 2 level fusion in 2003 which I feel was a success but, with the arthritis (that we did not know was so severe then) I am still in a lot of pain. We were thinking that it was localized to that section of the back they did the surgery on but, it was not. But, it is a different kind of pain. Thank the Lord!!!!
I will be looking often for more updates and will keep praying!!! Even after the surgery comes recovery.
Will Susan stay in Germany for recovery or will she come home soon after the surgery?
Post a Comment