Saturday, April 9, 2011

Play More, Plan Less

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.
Ecclesiastes 3:1

If they gave an award for "World's coolest Mom," my friend would win. She's nice and fun, and she throws the most elaborate birthday parties for her little girl. From games to treats to goodie bags----her parties are the best!                  
   Just before her daughter's seventh birthday, my friend was at it again. But in the midst of party-planning, her daughter kept asking, "Mama, will you play with me?"
   After saying no several times, my frustrated friend answered, "I can't play right now. I'm busy planning your birthday party. Now, isn't that more important?"
   Her little girl looked up at her and thoughtfully said, "No. I'd rather cancel the party and just have you play with me. That's the best present."
   Even as my friend shared the story with me, tears came to her eyes.  Her daughter didn't care about an elaborate birthday bash.  She simply wanted her mom's attention.
   Many times in  our quest to be the perfect mom, we lose sight of the big picture---our children need our love and attention more than anything.
God's Word for Mothers

1 comment:

The Dickinsons said...

That's good, Grammy! =)

I'm glad you are blogging again...I've missed you! =)