Saturday, January 17, 2009

FUNNY BUT TRUE!!!

My Aunt Sally sent me this. I guess even though I have moved from PA for over 20 years the following is so true. Thanks Aunt Sally for reminding me.

Talking Pennsylvanian Once a Pennsylvanian, ALWAYS a Pennsylvanian!

About Pennsylvanians:

You've never referred to Philadelphia as anything but 'Philly' and New Jersey has always been ' Jersey ..'

You know Pittsburgh ends in 'gh'.

We don't go to the beach, we go 'down the shore.'

You refer to Pennsylvania as 'PA' (pronounced Pee-Ay). How many other states do that??

'You guys' (or even 'youze guys', in some places) is a perfectly acceptable reference to a group of men or women or both.

You know how to respond to the question 'Djeetyet?' ( Did you eat yet ?) One answer is 'Djew?'

You learned to pronounce Bryn Mawr, Wilkes-Barre , Schuylkill , thePocono's, Tamaqua, Tunkahannock, Bala Cynwyd, Duquesne , Monongahela and Susquehanna.. And we know Lancaster is pronounced Lank-ister, not Lan-kaster.

And while we're at it it's Leb-anun not Leba-non. (look it up)

You know what a 'Mummer' is, and are disappointed if you can't catch atleast highlights of the parade.

You know what ' Punxsutawney Phil' is, and what it means if he sees his shadow.

It's called 'soda' unless you're from the Pittsburgh area where it's 'pop'

The first day of buck and the first day of doe season are school holidays. (Honest!)

At least five people on your block have electric 'candles' in all or most of their windows.

Words like 'hoagie,' 'crick,' 'chipped ham,' 'dippy eggs', 'sticky buns,''shoo-fly pie,' 'lemon sponge pie', 'pierogies', 'scrapple', 'honky eggs', 'Lebanon Bologna' and 'pocketbook' actuallymean something to you. ( By the way, that last one's PA slang for a purse!)

You can eat cold pizza (even for breakfast!) and know others who do thesame. Those from NY find this 'barbaric.'

You not only have heard of Birch Beer, but you know it comes in several colors. (White, Red & Brown)

You know the difference between a cheese steak and a pizza steak sandwich,and you know that you also can't get a really good one anywhere outside of the Philly area. (Except maybe in Atlantic City on the boardwalk.)

You live for summer, when street and county fairs signal the beginning of funnel cake season.

You know that Blue Ball, Intercourse, Paradise, Climax, Bird-in-Hand,Beaver, Moon, Virginville, Mars, Bethlehem, Hershey, Indiana, SinkingSpring, Jersey Shore, State College, Washington Crossing, Jim Thorpe, Kingof Prussia, Wind Gap, and Slippery Rock are all PA towns ... and the firstthree were consecutive stops on the old Reading RR! (PS - That's pronouncedRedd-ing.)

You know what a township, borough, and commonwealth are.

You can identify drivers from New York , New Jersey , Maryland or other neighboring states by their unique and irritating driving habits and their front license plates!

A traffic jam is 10 cars waiting to pass a horse-drawn carriage on the highway in Lancaster County . (And remember ... that's Lank-ister!)

You know several people who have hit deer more than once. (and I am one of them)

You carry jumper cables in your car and your female passengers know how to use them.

Driving is always better in winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

As a kid you built snow forts and leaf piles that were taller than you were.
You know beer doesn't grow in a garden, but you know where to find a beergarden.

You also know someone who lives 'down the lane'. When someone asks how far it is to Philadelphia, New York or wherever you answer in time not distance.

You actually understand all this and send it on to other Pennsylvanians for former Pennsylvanians! YEAH! THAT'S GOOD OL' 'PA' AND WE LOVE IT! And send it to people that never lived in PA and confuse them, because nice matters.

Just a side note
One day I had ask my granddaughter Abby to get my pocketbook for me and she just stood there looking at me like I came from another world and said WHAT IS A POCKETBOOK! Another time we were in a hurry to go some where and she was taking her good old time so I told her to SHAKE A LEG (which means in PA to hurry up) She actually stood there and shook her leg I laughed so hard I cried! I'm sure that some of my friends here in Ohio are getting to know me better and just act like they know what I'm saying:)

8 comments:

Tamra said...

I enjoyed reading this. Too funny!

Dixie said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing. I, too, am originally from PA.

Do you redd up the table?

Rob and Deanna said...

I didn't realize "pocketbook" was a PA term. This stuff is good to know, now I know why people look at me wierd (without understanding) sometimes! ;-)

Rob and Deanna said...

BTW, I love your new background!

Gayle said...

Thanks Deanna!

Gayle said...

Thanks Dixie! Yes we Redd up everything:)I can still hear my Dad yell Gayle Ann Redd up the living room!

Michele said...

So funny! We were talking about redding up last night!

The Dickinsons said...

I really enjoyed reading this, though I'm not from PA. Our family has used some of those expressions, or I have heard them all my life from someone else. Too cute!